Last Tuesday the Kitsap Public Health Board received a record number of comments on the proposed vaccine mandates in Kitsap County during a special meeting. They have now scheduled follow-up action for next Tuesday with a potential vote on vaccine mandates. We need to keep letting them know how we feel about this proposal!
In particular, if you or someone you know is a business owner, please write to the board about the impact this kind of mandate will have on your business. They also need to hear from anyone who has had a negative COVID vaccine reaction or has first-hand testimony of someone (e.g. family or friend) who has had such a reaction. Please share your story with them! (Email for the board is below.)
No matter your position on vaccines, we believe everyone should oppose a government requirement to require or show proof of a COVID vaccination Kitsap County under any circumstances. These kinds decisions should be made by individuals who can take into account the specific needs of their employees and customers and the best available science.
This upcoming Tuesday, October 5, 2021 from 12:00-2:00pm the Kitsap Public Health Board will consider a recommendation to require COVID vaccines under certain circumstances. The specific matter is described below. Note that option 5 would require proof of vaccination in order to enter a store to go shopping or even enter an indoor public venue!
“While the Health District recognizes that vaccination requirements are a complex and controversial topic to some, we hope to receive direction from the [Kitsap County] Health Board on how you would like to proceed with respect to the following, or other, options:
1. Take no action and allow the current situation to play out.
2. Make a formal Health Board recommendation/resolution for all local governmental agencies to require vaccination for their employees.
3. Make a formal Health Board recommendation/resolution for all private businesses to require vaccination for their employees and/or require proof of vaccination for entry into indoor public places.
4. Issue a formal Health Board/Health Officer order under the authority of RCW 70.05 to require employee vaccinations at governmental agencies.
5. Issue a formal Health Board/Health Officer order under RCW 70.05 to require all business open to the public, or indoor venues open to the public, to require proof of vaccination for entry.”
Please submit written comments to Keith Grellner (collects official public comments and sends copies to all the members) at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send a copy directly to the Kitsap County Commissioners at KitsapCommissioners@co.kitsap.wa.us.
Public comments will be allowed at Tuesday’s meeting for the first 30 people who raise their hands on the Zoom Meeting (2 minutes each). Please submit written comments even if you plan to speak at the meeting in case you are not among those allowed to comment during the meeting.
There will be citizens’ rally from 11am-2pm at 345 6th Ave, Bremerton, WA.
You can view all the meeting materials here: https://kitsappublichealth.org/about/board-meetings.php